July 30, 2013
Today was about getting the previously assembled beams across the stream and fastened in place.
|Sill work, beams in background|
|Dave and Jim setting sills|
|Denis finishes up sill bearing plates.|
One at a time, each 500lb beam was then slid from the assembly area and pivoted to align with the sills before being sent across the stream.
|Dragging a beam into position for launching.|
To keep the beams upright and horizontal on their way to the far bank, we installed a piece of 1/4" wire rope across the stream to carry the front end. This wire was 75 ft long, attached to a tree on the south side, and to a post we installed in the corn field as the anchor on the north side. To support the 250lb end of the beam in the center of such a long span, this wire needed to be very tight. We used two 1/2" diameter turnbuckles to tension the wire until the post began to shift slightly in the ground. A bracket was attached to the front of the beam to hold a pulley that traveled along the wire.
|Beam #2 starts the journey|
Once all three beams were across, they were set in their final locations and screwed to the sills with timber screws.
|First beam landed|
|All 3 beams in place and ready for planks|